A contested divorce occurs when one or both spouses cannot agree on certain issues in their divorce case. Contested divorces take longer, cost more and create greater stress than uncontested divorces. This is why we typically try to work with couples to reach an agreement and avoid going to court. However, we recognize that divorce generates strong emotions, and some couples simply can’t agree on much of anything. In these situations, we will fight aggressively to protect your interests during negotiations with the opposing counsel and, if necessary, during trial.
While every divorce is unique, here are the steps involved in a “typical” contested divorce:
- Hire an attorney
- Prepare, file and serve the petition for divorce to start the divorce case
- Respond to the petition
- Engage in what is called discovery, which involves gathering information from your spouse and any third party witnesses
- Pre-trial motions and hearings
- Negotiations between opposing attorneys for possible settlement
- Prepare for trial if settlement fails
- Engage in and complete the court trial
- If you want to dispute the judge’s decision, your attorney can appeal it
Given the complexity and high stakes involved in a contested divorce, it is essential to consult with an experienced attorney. Our Sacramento contested divorce attorney has successfully handled numerous contested divorces involving a wide range of issues. We understand what you are going through during this difficult time in your life, and will work closely with you from beginning to end.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We will work hard to protect your interests and achieve the best possible outcome in your case. And in the process, help you achieve closure and make the transition to the next stage of your life.